Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Brave New World

Today is "World Cancer Day."

Ya know what? After all these years and kabillions of dollars, I think we should not NEED a "World Cancer Day."
*I* think we should have a cure.
But I do wonder: will we ever?
Let's face it, it's NOT financially smart to cure a disease that costs kabillions to fight and can generate kabillions in contributions, because everyone has been affected by it.

So, is the "war on Cancer" the same losing battle as the "war on Terrorism," or, "war on Drugs?" Are they all just revenue makers???

I know, I shouldn't be Debbie Downer, but I am having a hard time with "Gracious Cancer poster girl," personality, today...she just seems to be unwilling to smile pretty and look perky in her buzzcut and (theonlythingthatfitsis)sweats.

I am not ignoring the massive improvements we have made in cancer treatment...but those improvements are crazy expensive. Just four treatments of chemo cost more than a LUXURY SUV. Add to that two surgeries and 33 radiation treatments and the multitude of doctor visits...and then multiply THAT by the number of people battling this insidious disease. I don't even know what to call numbers that go that high.


Anyway...

As I sit here, looking out on snow covered trees, I wonder...will there ever be a world in which a "cancer day" is not needed?








No comments:

Post a Comment